Sunday, January 29, 2012

Party Favors

This weekend I had the privilege of hosting an engagement party with 7 of the Quail Hollow ladies that John grew up with. Kelli & Ben are one of the sweetest couples I have ever met and a fun couple to host a party for!

The party was themed a "Wine & Dessert Cocktail Party." We had a chocolate fountain with strawberries, pineapples, homemade marshmallows, brownies, pound cake, and bananas. There was also a delicious cheese tray, nuts, lemon cheesecake, cheese bites, and other yummy goods. I was in charge of making cookie party favors. Here is a little glimpse of the evening:

 The homemade marshmallows that my mother-in-law made. 
They were delicious and I'm not normally a 
marshmallow person!

 Before all of the food was put out. Don't know
how I missed getting a picture of the finished product!
 Ben & Kelli

 Some of the wonderful hostesses

Oh, how I love wedding stuff! :)

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Fabric Covered Magnet Boards

Not to long ago my friend (and co-worker), Ashley, and I went to the Shopping Spree and saw fabric covered magnetic boards. Ash and I both thought they were super cute but kinda pricey, so we decided we were going to try to make our own. Ash has a sweet little baby girl due in just 3 weeks so we decided to have a Saturday craft date to work on the boards. Thanks to Ashley we had this wonderful website to guide us through our project: Fabric Boards.

 (Sorry about the bad photo quality - I was using my phone)

We started off by purchasing the following items:
  1. picture frame ($10.00)
  2. zinc-coated steel ($10.00 -> could make 2)
  3. steal-cutting scissors ($10.00)
  4. extra strong magnets ($2.29 for a pack of 8)
  5. fabric (mine was only $1.50!!!)
  6. buttons ($2.29)
  7. adhesive spray ($6.99)
To begin our project we used the mat from our frame to outline where we needed to cut on our steel

*A little side note: Cut the steel slightly smaller than your outline so that it will fit easily into your frame. We broke 2 frames learning this the hard way. 
** If you could get Lowes or Home Depot to cut your steel.. DO IT!!!! Otherwise, the scissors make it super hard.

Unfortunately we didn't get pictures from the rest of our experience because the adhesive spray was super sticky. But we did learn that it is easy to have 2 people to help keep the fabric nice and tight. After our first board we decided to use a "scraper" to help press down the adhesive spray so our fingers didn't get so dirty - I also think it helped our fabric to lay down better. 

Lastly, we used the adhesive spray to glue the magnets to the back of our buttons. 

Here are our finished products:
 For baby Kaylee

Ash kept the glass on the front of hers and the magnets still worked great!! Unfortunately, my glass broke so I wasn't able to do this but I highly recommend it. It seems to make the fabric stay down better as well. 

For me:

This was a super fun project and fairly easy to do! Ash and I both agreed to start having "craft days" more often! Baby Kaylee is going to have lots of great crafts!! I can't wait to meet her!