A couple of months ago I got the bright idea (from a Southern Living magazine) that I wanted to grow some strawberries. Unfortunately, I never got around to planting them. Next year, right? Well, since I couldn't grow my own strawberries this year I thought I would plan a double date with the Bakers to go strawberry pickin' at a local strawberry patch. Everyone had a blast, even our husbands!!
I wanted to try something a little creative with the strawberries so I searched and searched and found a recipe for strawberry shortcake cookies.
2 cups of diced strawberries
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp unsalted butter cut into small pieces
2/3 cup heavy cream
sanding sugar for sprinkling
1. Heat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix strawberries, lemon juice, and 1 tbsp of sugar.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the flour, salt, butter, and remaining sugar. Stir in the cream until the dough starts coming together. Stir in the strawberry mix until combined.
4. I use an ice cream scoop to drop the dough onto the baking pan. It seems to come out easily and it makes the perfect size cookie. Sprinkle sanding sugar on the tops of the cookies.
5. Bake the cookies for about 20-24 minutes or until golden brown.